Vegan Pasta with Cheesy, Garlic Alfredo Sauce
Despite being 100% Vegan, this delicious pasta has all of the comfort and cheesy goodness of a traditional Alfredo recipe.
Buy the Noodles
- 1 Box of Modern Table Lentil Rotini
- 1 1/2 heads roasted garlic (depending on the size of your garlic head)
- 1/2 tsp Adobo Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 an onion chopped & sautéed
- 5 garlic cloves sautéed
- 4-6 Tbsp low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 boiled potato, mashed OR 1/2 C of leftover mashed potatoes (optional)
- 2/3 C raw cashews
- 1/4-1/2 C Nutritional yeast
- 5 Tbsp white flour OR arrowroot starch
- 2 cups unsweetened plain plant milk, plus more if needed
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 F. Cut the top off of your head of garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of Adobo Seasoning and place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime begin preparing your cheese sauce. In a large skillet sauté your onions and garlic in 4-6 Tbsp of low sodium vegetable broth. Cook until light golden brown and then begin whisking in your flour or arrowroot starch and plant milk. Add some plant milk, then the flour or starch, and then while whisking, pour in the rest of the milk.
- Continue whisking and cooking on medium/low heat for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender and set aside.
- Check on the garlic roasting in the oven. When close to 25 minutes in, lower the temperature to 400 F. At this point, bring your pasta water to a boil.
- Return to your blender and add the cashews, nutritional yeast, and potato and blend on high until creamy. Taste and adjust; if you need to, add a dash of of pink salt.
- Remove garlic from the oven and carefully squeeze out the cloves into your blender. You can squeeze a bit of lemon juice in as well, only about 1 tsp worth to give it a little zing. Blend on high until smooth.
- When there is 3 minutes left in the cooking of your pasta, feel free to add either peas, corn, or broccoli to the water. Once cooking is complete, drain all of the contents and be sure to conserve 1/4 of the pasta water (just in case).
- Combine the creamy, dreamy, cheesy goodness and the pasta. If you would like a thinner sauce you can stir in some of the conserved pasta water. Enjoy!
Recipe credit: Gianna Ciaramello.
Shop now for our Lentil Rotini pasta!